Can I attach brick pavers to a concrete patio slab using mortar in a cold climate like Michigan, or will winter freezes and thaws cause problems with the pavers or joints cracking and coming loose? -William
As long as you lay the pavers on the concrete slab during warm weather well prior to the arrival of winter, the pavers should be able to withstand your cold Michigan winters without cracking or coming loose.
To attach brick pavers to a concrete slab:
- Smooth Joints: Smooth the mortar joints with a trowel, then use a stiff brush to remove any excess mortar from the pavers.
Good luck with your project,
- How to Lay Brick Pavers on a Concrete Slab Porch (video)
- How to Repair Pop Outs in a Concrete Patio (article)
- How to Repair a Crack in a Concrete Slab Patio (article)
- How to Score and Acid Stain a Concrete Slab Porch or Patio (video)