To celebrate our 300th episode of Today’s Homeowner with Danny Lipford, we’re taking a nostalgic look back at our twelve years on the air. Find out what it’s like behind the scenes on the show, get to know our cast and crew, and check out some of the interesting people we’ve met in our dozen years of bringing you the best in home improvement information.
History of the Show
It all began in 1988 with a local cable access show in Mobile, Alabama, called Better Living, hosted by remodeling contractor Danny Lipford. This early effort evolved into the home renovation show Remodeling Today which then became Today’s Homeowner in 1998.
Cast and Crew
In addition to Danny, members of the crew who have made the show a success over the years include director Scott Gardner, cameraman Brad Rodgers, editor Mike Richardson, and producer Allen Lyle. Allen also does double duty in front of the camera along with cast members Joe Truini and Jodi Marks.
Keep up with the cast of Today’s Homeowner on their blogs:
People and Places
From Los Angeles to Chicago and Las Vegas to Manhattan, Today’s Homeowner has hit the road more and more each year, traveling far and wide to bring you the latest home improvement ideas, hottest trends, and best products for your home.
We’ve introduced you to a number of fascinating people along the way, from homeowners and contractors to noted celebrities like Ed Begley, Jr.; Bill Nye; and baseball legend Hank Aaron.
Show Segments Past and Present
Today’s Homeowner has also featured a number of helpful segments over the years including Simple Solutions, Best New Products, Around the Yard, Ask Danny, and Thinking Green.
- Simple Solutions has been a featured segment of the show since the very beginning, providing hundreds of helpful tips for your home. Joe Truini—a veteran carpenter, contractor, cabinetmaker, and author—took over the reins from Danny and Allen after the show’s first year and has held them ever since. From useful jigs for your shop to tips on how to dry your shoes, Joe has covered just about every aspect of home improvement in his 11 years with the show.
- Best New Products is another long running segment of Today’s Homeowner that showcases the latest items for your home. Originally hosted by Danny, Jodi Marks has handled the segment for the past two seasons. With a background in home remodeling and several home improvement television shows under her belt, Jodi and Today’s Homeowner make a perfect match.
- Thinking Green provides tips and ideas to make your home more eco-friendly. Each week Danny explains and demonstrates how you can live a greener lifestyle, from recycling to water conservation to saving energy around your home.
- Around the Yard provided a wealthy of information from lawn and garden experts on improving your yard. While the segment is no longer on Today’s Homeowner, video clips from past shows, along with current articles from Julie Day, our resident online gardening enthusiast, are available on our website.
- Ask Danny is another former segment of Today’s Homeowner that is still active on the web. Through online videos and articles, Danny provides answers to a wide range of home improvement questions.
It’s been an incredible 12 years here on Today’s Homeowner with Danny Lipford, and we’re looking forward to sharing our home improvement knowledge and advice with you for many years yet to come.
We have some great shows planned for our upcoming season, including the 13-part, energy efficient renovation of a 1920s Tutor style home known as The Kuppersmith Project. So be sure to tune in each week and visit our website for all the best home improvement advice.
Watch Videos from This Episode
- Looking Back at the Early Days of Today’s Homeowner
- Hanging Out with the Crew of Today’s Homeowner
- Today’s Homeowner Bloopers
- The Homeowners of Today’s Homeowner
- Celebrity Homeowners on Today’s Homeowner
- Looking Back at Simple Solutions on Today’s Homeowner
- Looking Back at Best New Products on Today’s Homeowner
- Looking Back at Thinking Green on Today’s Homeowner